The first curator, Peter Lindegger, started the collection with a founding stock of about 700 volumes. Today the library comprises:
- 6,000 books including rare items such as the original edition of Giuseppe Tucci’s Tibetan Painted Scrolls, 1949
- 6,000 separate prints mainly documenting the foundation and construction of the monastery and the life and activities of the Tibetan people in Switzerland
- 80 journals and newspapers including some in Tibetan language
- 50 films, in particular documenting the Tibetan expeditions by Williamson, Schäfer and others
- 300 video cassettes on subjects concerning Buddhism, the Dalai Lama, teachings of members of the monastic community, Tibetans in Switzerland and travel in Tibet
Please note: videos can only be watched during opening hours or upon request in the library and are not available for borrowing due to copyrights reasons.
- 200 audio recordings
- a collection of maps
- a press documentation
- a photographic documentation of the Tibet Institute and of the Tibetan people in Switzerland
Here you find our recent acquisitions for the current year. They are updated monthly. If there is an item you believe the library should purchase, please send us an email.